North Texas hobby retailers Lone Star Comics, Comic Asylum, Texas Toy Soldier, HobbytownUSA Dallas, Area 51 and Gunslinger Games will join Games Workshop and Adeptus North Texas to host a spectacular Event Series of linked Painting & Modeling contests, one per consecutive month, based on the tremendous new Warhammer Fantasy Storm of Magic supplement--all of which will climax in a participatory Storm of Magic multiplayer megabattle using the model submissions from the contest series!
Each monthly contest has it's own specific rules, as best suits it's sponsoring retailer, so read each independently for details. Hobbyists may participate in the entire series--conveniently completing a core Warhammer Fantasy force *and* everything needed to play in the Storm of Magic megagame come April in so doing--or may pick and choose as suits their location and interests. There are events which have no entry fee or purchase requirement at all, allowing players to enter existing models they would like to show off...and events which offer incentives to buy and build a new army element from that month's sponsoring retailer. There are events which up the prize ante by translating combined entry fees into prizes. And there are participating locations spread throughout the North Texas area, for every interested hobbyist's geographic convenience!
The Storm of Magic Event Series schedule:
- November 2011: Lone Star Comics -- Storm of Magic Wizard Painting Contest: Participants may submit an objective-claiming spellcaster model from their chosen army to the participating Lone Star Comics store of their choice any time from November 1 through close of business Sunday, November 27, where submissions will remain on display through November 30. Entries are restricted to one per hobbyist per store. Entered models must primarily be Citadel miniatures, may not be riding a mount or monster and must be on a standard GW base appropriate to the entered model's size type. There will be *no* entry fee for this month's event, and no purchase is required. Prizes will be awarded for Best Wizard at each participating store; additional prizes (such as Best Painted, Best Conversion, Best Youngblood entry, etc) may be awarded if judges at individual participating stores see fit; not all Lone Star Comics storefronts are participating (contact your local Lone Star Comics branch for specific details). Winners will be announced in store and at http://www.adeptusnorthtexas.com in December!
- December 2011: Comic Asylum --Storm of Magic Unit Painting Contest: Participants may submit an objective-defending unit from their chosen army to Comic Asylum any time from December 1 through close of business Thursday, December 29, 2011, where submissions will remain on display through December 31. There will be an entry fee of $10 per participant, but there is no limit on the number of units a participant may enter for that fee. Models in entered units must be primarily Citadel miniatures, must be on standard GW bases appropriate to the entered unit models' size type, and movement trays are highly recommended. Units submitted must meet army book minimums, may--but do not have to--include champions, musicians and standards (or equivalents), and must not exceed fifteen models total (unless the unit minimum is higher in which case that minimum must be met). Prizes of Comic Asylum gift certificates based on the amount raised by entry fees will be awarded for Best Unit--*and* for Best Dedicated Sponsor/Event Unit: hobbyists who submit with their unit entry a valid receipt showing proof of purchase for that unit at the sponsoring retailer after the beginning of the Storm of Magic Event series November 1, 2011 qualify for this additional prize from this month's sponsor, Comic Asylum! Winners will be announced in store and at http://www.adeptusnorthtexas.com in January 2012.
- January 2012: Texas Toy Soldier -- Storm of Magic Arcane Fulcrum Painting Contest: Participants may submit an Arcane Fulcrum Terrain objective model of their choice any time from January 1, 2012, through close of business Saturday, January 28, 2012, where submissions will remain on display through January 31. There will be an entry fee of $5 per participant, but there is no limit on the number of entries a participant may enter at that fee. Models entered must be primarily Citadel Arcane Fulcrum kits, other Citadel Terrain kits converted to act as a Storm of Magic Arcane Fulcrum objective (see SoM supplement for details), or other qualifying Terrain kit purchased from Texas Toy Soldier and so converted (only non-Citadel Terrain kits entered need be TTS purchases, but see following). Prizes of Texas Toy Soldier gift certificates based on the amount raised by entry fees will be awarded--and TTS will double the amount of entry-fee-generated prize money! Awards will be given for Best Arcane Fulcrum, Best Conversion and Best Dedicated Sponsor/Event Arcane Fulcrum: hobbyists who present with their terrain piece entry a valid receipt showing proof of purchase for that entry at the sponsoring retailer after the beginning of the Storm of Magic Event Series November 1, 2011, qualify for this additional prize from this month's sponsor, Texas Toy Soldier! Winners will be announced in store and at http://www.adeptusnorthtexas.com in February 2012.
- February 2012: HobbytownUSA Dallas -- Storm of Magic Monster Painting Contest: Participants may submit an objective-seizing/wizard-slaying Citadel Monster model of their choice anytime from February 1, 2012 through close of business Sunday, February 26, 2012, where submissions will remain on display through February 29. There will be *no* entry fee at this sponsoring retailer. Models entered must be primarily Citadel miniature kits and mounted on a base appropriateu to the monster's size type. 'Monster' can include giants, trolls, saurians, dragons and/or many other creature types from the Warhammer Old World; though not exclusively, an existence of a Storm of Magic Scroll of Binding will satisfy the qualification of a given kit as a 'Monster' for purposes of this contest. Monster models should not include riding characters or units; an entry will not be excluded if submitted with a rider, howdah, etc (in order to allow inclusion of monsters already in hobbyists' collections) but such accessories (while they must be complete to allow entry in the event) will not be considered in judging. Entries are restricted to one per participant *except* Dedicated Sponsor/Event entries, as many of which as the participant cares to purchase and complete may be entered! Prizes will be awarded for Best Monster, Best Youngblood Monster and Best Dedicated Sponsor/Event Monster: hobbyists who present with their entered monsters a valid receipt showing proof of purchase for that kit at the sponsoring retailer after the beginning of the Storm of Magic Event Series November 1, 2011, qualify for this additional prize from this month's sponsor, HobbytownUSA Dallas! Winners will be announced in store and at http://www.adeptusnorthtexas.com in March.
- March 2012: Area 51 Grapevine -- Storm of Magic Mounted Wizard Painting Contest: Participants may submit an objective-claiming spellcaster model which must be riding a mount or monster option from it's entry in the relevant army book to Area 51 in Grapevine any time from March 1 through close of business Sunday, March 25 where they will remain on display through March 31. The submitted model may be an spellcaster from the chosen army book *or* a legal ally spellcaster from another army book as described in the Storm of Magic supplement. There will be *no* entry fee at this sponsoring retailer, and no purchase is required. Entries are restricted to one per hobbyist. Entered models must be primarily Citadel miniatures, must be riding a mount (including monsters) of a type legally described as an option in the relevant army book, and must be on a standard GW base appropriate to the model's size type. Prizes will be awarded for Best Mounted Wizard and Best Dedicated Sponsor/Event Mounted Wizard: hobbyists who present with their entered model a valid receipt showing proof of purchase for that kit at the sponsoring retailer after the start of the Storm of Magic Event Series November 1, 2011 qualify for this additional prize from this month's sponsor, Area 51 Grapevine!
- April 2012: Gunslinger Games -- Storm of Magic Multiplayer Megabattle: Participants may bring a force consisting of one foot/infantry spellcaster model and one defending unit from their chosen army book, a mounted spellcaster model from either their or a legal allied army book, one Arcane Fulcrum terrain objective model and one bound Monster model to a massive Storm of Magic game, where they will be divided into sides and will battle for supremacy as the winds of magic howl! Players are not required to have participated in any of the previous months' Painting & Modeling contests in the series in order to play in this month's megabattle--but participants whose above-described force includes any model which was submitted to any such contest may accrue benefits for that model during the game, such as spell re-rolls, additional lives, special Ward saves and unique magic items! There is *no* entry fee to participate in this climactic event. Models in forces used must be primarily Citadel miniatures, must be considered WYSIWYG and fully-painted and based. Prizes will be awarded in the course of the megabattle for deeds of exceptional heroism, irredeemable villainy, or utter hilarity, and there will also be a Favorite Dedicated Sponsor/Event Model Contest as part of the day--hobbyists who bring as part of their SoM force *any* qualifying wizard, unit, terrain piece or monster purchased at the sponsoring retailer after the beginning of the Storm of Magic Event Series November 1, 2011, will be allowed to present their model for all megabattle participants to vote on, with the model selected as Favorite receiving an appropriate in-game bonus such as described above *and* a Prize from the sponsoring retailer, Gunslinger Games! The date and time of the concluding megabattle will be announced as the event nears, dependent on the sponsoring retailer's calendar of other events (as they may have a big announcement to coincide with the event, as well!).
Storm of Magic is an exceptional new Warhammer supplement; like Apocalypse for 40K, it accommodates both experienced players--by allowing them to play at new levels of spectacle--and relative beginners--by allowing them to participate in multiplayer events with a small, easily-finished force and a veteran to ask questions of right at their side. This half-year-long cooperative Event Series will offer something for every level of Warhammer hobbyist in like fashion...with the added bonus of a solid core force to play future Storm of Magic games for those who participate in most or all of the painting contests, a force which will form a nice core of a standard Warhammer army, as well. In the event a sponsoring retailer alters any specifications of their monthly contribution, that sponsor's decision is final, but for purposes of that month's event only. Review the different event qualifications and specifics, decide which suit your hobby preferences best, support these participating retailers for opting to be a part of a community-wide series unlike anything to be found elsewhere with purchases where appropriate for you: many of them have included the opportunity to compete for an additional prize where participants support them through the holiday buying season with a purchase, but none have made purchases mandatory for participation in any contest in the Event Series.
Then ready your minions, mages and monsters to seize, hold or take the magic-rich objectives which will give you ultimate victory--and absolute mastery of a Storm of Magic!